CAHS was founded in December 1974 by 37 residents to safeguard Chelsea’s past for future generations. Their mission was straightforward: to gather and preserve Chelsea area history, educate the public, and promote the restoration and preservation of historic buildings and sites for future generations. As a result, the organization has accumulated a wealth of photographs, newspaper clippings, business and personal histories, physical objects, and other relics that tell the story of the Chelsea area and community.
The Chelsea Area History Society is celebrating its 40th Anniversary in 2014 by ringing a permanent home to Chelsea’s history, and be part of a lasting legacy to Chelsea.
Throughout its forty years, CAHS has been a nomadic group. They have exhibited in downtown merchants’ windows, the library and local historical museums, taken artifacts into the schools, and provided local history education in a variety of settings in the town. But, the non-profit in 2015 worked to put down roots in the community it serves. CAHS went into negotiations with the owners of the “Boyd House” property at 128 Jackson Street, and the group agreed to allow the organization to establish a historical museum and a permanent presence for the Chelsea community.
The 1853 Greek Revival house, which sits directly across from the depot, is one of the oldest buildings in Chelsea. It offers ample space on the main floor, which is handicap accessible, for displays and exhibits, while the second floor will house both an office and a historical research/reference room. A bit of information taken from Lloyd E. Baldwin’s house history tells one story of the property.